Check out our Makeover Tips below to give you kitchen remodeling ideas:
– Keep the walkways wide enough: General walkways should be a minimum of 36 inches wide with areas in front of the stove and refrigerator at least 42 inches up to 48 inches wide.
– Keep the kids in mind: If installing a microwave consider putting it under the counter or no higher than the countertop. Put their favorite foods and snacks in drawers or shelves they can reach.
– Also for kids, as well as the adults, put a message center in or near the kitchen. This is a main gathering point for the whole family so everyone will see it.
– Remember to space cabinets, especially those on the end, so their doors will open completely and not be obstructed by items on the adjoining wall.
– Landing space is very important next to the stove, allow 15 inches on both sides if possible, refrigerator, microwave, and sink.
– If you cook three meals a day for a family, the more counter space the better especially between the sink and stove if they are located on the same counter.
– If your stove is located in an island, consider adding a small sink with a swing-out spigot for filling large pots. Adding a small garbage disposal to this sink will save trips to the main sink especially if it is across from the opposite side of the stove.
– There never seems to be enough outlets for all of the electrical equipment now available for kitchen use. Install extra outlets along the backsplash and on the sides of an island or peninsula counter.
– When choosing wall colors, stick to lighter shades, these tend to make the area look bigger.